About Pothi.com Self Publishing and Print on Demand Publishing at Pothi.com (General) Publishing at Pothi.com (Print) Publishing at Pothi.com (eBook) Author Services Book Submission (Print) Book Submission (eBook) Sales, Marketing and Distribution (General) Sales, Marketing and Distribution (Print) Sales, Marketing and Distribution (eBook) Private Publishing and Printing Tracking Sales and Royalty Buying at Pothi.com (General) Buying at Pothi.com (Print Books) Buying at Pothi.com (eBooks) Copyright Issues ISBN Indian Language Support Cover Design Wizard Price and Royalty Calculator Formatting in Microsoft Word Registration and Account Management
What are the advantages and disadvantages of Print-on-Demand (POD) over offset printing for books?
Advantages of POD
- No up-front investment is required in printing a large number of copies.
- Each copy is printed separately, so each of them can be customized.
- The manuscript can be updated, if needed, for new copies, because all the copies need not be printed in one go.
- The quality of printing has become very good with newer machines and it matches the offset printing quality for most practical purposes.
- If you have to print a large number of copies, the per copy cost with offset printing becomes much less. So, POD is not cost effective for large print runs.
- Offset printing quality, especially for color photos, still exceeds the Print on Demand quality