ISBN stands for International Standard Book Number, a unique code that can be assigned to a book.
While an ISBN is not required to publish a book, it is a good idea to get one for your book, specially if you want to sell it through standard book distribution channel. For selling it only through Pothi.com, you do not need to have an ISBN.
ISBNs are allotted to publishers. Books on Pothi.com are usually published by the authors or their relatives individually. Earlier ISBNs were allotted only in blocks. But the good news for self-publishers is that now individual ISBNs can be allotted to the self-publishers too.
What more - Getting an ISBN in India is free. You need to send an application to Raja Rammohan Roy National Agency for ISBN.
Self Publishers, please read on to know how to get an ISBN for your book.
Getting an ISBN in India
- Make sure your book design is done so you know the number of pages.
- Finalize the book cover design.
- Decide on whether you want to publish paperback, hard cover or eBook. Each of these formats should have a separate ISBN. So, if you are planning to publish in more than one format, please send an application for each of them.
- Decide the retail price of the book
Application & Attachments
Complete the application by inserting the details about your book.
- Title of Book:
- Publisher: Self-Published
- Year of Publication:
- Place of Publication:
- Format (paperback, hard cover or eBook):
- Your address for communication
- a copy of id proof (PAN card, passport, voter id card etc.)
- a print out of cover
- a self addressed envelop for return communication
- Publisher: Please make sure that the publisher's name is NOT Pothi.com. If you yourself are publishing the book, you should write self-published in that head. If another individual or organization is publishing it, then their name should be mentioned. But under no circumstances should Pothi.com's name be mentioned there.
- Hardback/Paperback/eBook: Different ISBNs need to be taken for the hardcover, paperback and eBook formats. So, be clear about which version you want the ISBN for.
Postal address for sending the application:
Raja Rammohun Roy National Agency for ISBN,
Department of Higher Education,
Ministry of Human Resource Development,
Room No. 13, Jeevan Deep Building,
4th Floor, Parliament Street,
New Delhi - 110001
- Raja Rammohun Roy National Agency for ISBN,
Please note that we have tried to provide the information as accurately as possible. However, we do not take responsibility of any omissions or mistakes that might have come in. This article is provided for informational purposes only. For any legal issues, please consult a qualified professional.