The ISBN agency has launched an online portal and according to their website they are no longer accepting paper application. To register for an account and apply for an ISBN, please go to their portal.
The application process mentioned in the article below is no longer relevant.
ISBN stands for International Standard Book Number, a unique code that can be assigned to a book.
While an ISBN is not required to publish a book, it is a good idea to get one for your book, specially if you want to sell it through standard book distribution channel. For selling it only through Pothi.com, you do not need to have an ISBN.
ISBNs are allotted to publishers. Books on Pothi.com are usually published by the authors or their relatives individually. Earlier ISBNs were allotted only in blocks. But the good news for self-publishers is that now individual ISBNs can be allotted to the self-publishers too.
What more - Getting an ISBN in India is free. You need to send an application to Raja Rammohan Roy National Agency for ISBN.
Self Publishers, please read on to know how to get an ISBN for your book.
Getting an ISBN in India
Make sure that your book in ready for the ISBN application. In particular
- Interior book design should be done so you know the number of pages.
- Book cover design should be ready.
- You should know whether you want to publish paperback, hard cover or eBook. Each of these formats needs a separate ISBN. So, if you are planning to publish in more than one format, please send an application for each of them.
- Retail price of the book should be decided.
Also keep handy the following
- Self-attested id proof.
- A copy of the book cover.
- Self-addressed envelope affixed with postage stamp for speed post despatch from Delhi.
- Any earlier ISBN asigned to you by the agency.
- A copy of the book using the earlier ISBN, if not already sent to the agency.
Application & Attachments
Complete the application by inserting the details about your book.
- Title of Book:
- Author/Editor Name:
- Publisher: Self-Published/Name of the publisher
- Whether you have published before and if so its ISBN:
- Whether the earlier book is attached:
- Year of Publication:
- Place of Publication:
- Format (paperback, hard cover or eBook):
- Your address for communication
- a copy of self-attested id proof (PAN card, passport, voter id card etc.)
- a print out of cover
- a self addressed envelop for return communication
- a copy of any earlier book published with an ISBN, if not already sent
- Publisher: Please make sure that the publisher's name is NOT Pothi.com. If you yourself are publishing the book, you should write self-published in that head. If another individual or organization is publishing it, then their name should be mentioned. But under no circumstances should Pothi.com's name be mentioned there.
- Hardback/Paperback/eBook: Different ISBNs need to be taken for the hardcover, paperback and eBook formats. So, be clear about which version you want the ISBN for.
- Self-attestation: Remember to self-attest attached documents.
Postal address for sending the application:
Raja Rammohun Roy National Agency for ISBN,
Department of Higher Education,
Ministry of Human Resource Development,
Room No. 13, Jeevan Deep Building,
4th Floor, Parliament Street,
New Delhi - 110001
- Raja Rammohun Roy National Agency for ISBN,
Please note that we have tried to provide the information as accurately as possible. However, we do not take responsibility of any omissions or mistakes that might have come in. This article is provided for informational purposes only. For any legal issues, please consult a qualified professional.