What are the advantages and disadvantages of Print-on-Demand (POD) over offset printing for books?
Advantages of POD
- No up-front investment is required in printing a large number of copies.
- Each copy is printed separately, so each of them can be customized.
- The manuscript can be updated, if needed, for new copies, because all the copies need not be printed in one go.
- The quality of printing has become very good with newer machines and it matches the offset printing quality for most practical purposes.
Disadvantages of POD
- If you have to print a large number of copies, the per copy cost with offset printing becomes much less. So, POD is not cost effective for large print runs.
- Offset printing quality, especially for color photos, still exceeds the Print on Demand quality