Cosmetic is a Greek word which means to 'adorn' (addition of something decorative to a person or a thing). It may be defined as a substance which comes in contact with various parts of the human body like skin, hair, nail, lips, teeth, and mucous membranes etc, Cosmetic substances help in improving or changing the outward show of the body and also masks the odour of the body. It protects the skin and keeps it in good condition. In general, cosmetics are external preparations which are applied on the external parts the body.
Even in earlier days, men and women used to decorate their bodies for improvement of appearance. Men used leaves of vegetables and parts of animals whereas women use to wear colored stones and flowers round their neck and wrist. Gradually, they start using colored earth and ointments on their face and body. Even bangles and necklace made of baked earth materials became very common among the people. Eye shadow were made of copper (coloured earth) ore and lamp black (coloured earth) while red colour was used for dyeing of hair.
Now days, cosmetics are considered as essential components in life. They not only, attract the people towards it but also impart psychological effects. It has gained popularity in the last 3-4 decades and its use has been increased exponentially both-in males and females. The most popular cosmetics are hair dyes, powders and creams.
Examples of Cosmetics:
Skin-care creams, powders, lotions, lipsticks, nail polishes, eye and face makeup, deodorants, baby products, hair colourants and sprays etc.
1. They are used as a cleansing, moisturizing and beautifying agent.
2. They help in enhancing attractiveness of the body.
3. They help in altering the appearance of the body without affecting its functions.
4. Sunscreen products help in protecting the body from UV rays and treating sunburns.
5. Acne, wrinkles, dark circles under eyes and other skin imperfections are treated or repaired by treatment products.
6. Cosmetics help in treating skin infection.
मधमाश्यापालन: एक अदभूत निसर्ग सेवा. by Dr. Jawale Chetan S.
MCQs Neuro-radiology by Dr.Nagendra Kumar Sinha
Eat less, live longer by Anca Ioviţă
Medicine and the Bomb by Paul Langley