Interior File Specifications
We support books in the following languages at Pothi.com:
- English and other Latin script languages
- Indian languages
- Languages that are written from right-to-left (RTL languages) such as Urdu and Arabic
For languages other than English, certain additional requirements apply to the interior and cover file specifications. This is to eliminate the possibility of printing errors when preparing the files.
Submission in PDF format is best, but other convenient formats are accepted as well.
Accepted formats are:
- PDF (preferred format)
- Microsoft Word document (.doc, .docx)
- Openoffice.org document (.odt)
- Staroffice document (.sxw)
While we accept manuscripts in a number of formats, we recommend PDF, especially if your book includes lots of images in the interior, is layout-heavy, or uses non-standard fonts. This also applies to books that are in Indian languages and to books in RTL languages.
In these cases, it is better that you convert it to PDF yourself and confirm that the layout is good. You can use Adob PDF Writer for this purpose. There are also several free tools available for your use, such as cutepdf.
If you are using a program other than Microsoft Office, Openoffice.org or Staroffice to typeset your book, please convert it to pdf before submitting.
Please ensure that all fonts are embedded in your PDF file, and that all images are flattened before submission.
The colorspace of the file should be either Grayscale or CMYK.
Pothi.com does not make any content changes or additions to the files submitted for publishing. So, make sure that anything you might want printed on the book is included in the file, even the blank pages where needed.
Manuscripts in Indian Languages
Before converting to PDF, you would need to ensure that the fonts are embedded in the document.
Manuscripts in RTL Languages
- The number of pages in the interior file needs to be an exact multiple of eight (e.g. 8, 16, 24, etc.) Else blank pages may appear in the beginning of the book.
- The interior file should have the pages in reverse order, i.e. the first page of the file would be the last page of the book, page 2 in the file will be the penultimate page of the book, and so on. The last page of the file will come out as the first page of the final book.
- The file needs to be uploaded in PDF format with the fonts embedded.